The Girl in Black

Se necesita una poca de gracia.

Monday, December 26, 2005

*exasperated sigh*

Okay, so I finally found out why the sudden fuss over the semantics of saying Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays.

Jesus Christ on a crutch people! WTF???

By raising a stink and insisting that one must say Happy Holidays? I know, I know. The "Jesus is the reason for the season" stuff bugs me too, but come on! Can't we show a little more tolerance than insisting on empty, blanket statements?

It makes me happy to say "Merry Christmas" to people who celebrate it, just like it makes me happy to say "Happy Chanukah" to people who celebrate it, just like it would make me happy to say "Happy Kwanzaa" to people who celebrate it (if I knew any), just like it makes me happy when people wish me a "Happy Winter Solstice."

Atheists? I dunno what to say to them, so I guess maybe "Happy Holidays?" Or I could go the ThinkGeek route and say Have a satisfactory Non-Denominational Capitalist Wintertime Gift Giving Season.

If they even celebrate, that is.

But this goes with my earlier sentiment. It's dark, it's fucking cold, why not throw a party? Does it have to matter who "owns" it? It's not entirely about Jesus, or a tiny bit of oil lasting far longer than expected, or the Seven Principles, or the rebirth of the sun. It's about people getting together and enjoying each other's company. Family, friends, the community. Sheesh.

So, in honor of this, I'm reviving my old line:

That's it, I'm moving to France.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free log