The Girl in Black

Se necesita una poca de gracia.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

This isn'f funny anymore

Really big tragedies happen. This is a given.

I remember when the planes hit the towers, I was distanced from it. I was able to make jokes. I refused to follow along with a lot of the sentimental crap that arose because of the incident. (You know, the collages of flags and eagles and images of the tower. I thought and still think they were rather hokey.) What the hell did I care? I didn't have friends or family up there, or at the Pentagon. I only gave reflective pause when I discovered that my then soon-to-be boyfriend had friends and family in both of the affected areas, and then I felt somewhat more sad. But it never completely touched me.

This time it's different.

At first I didn't think about it except in the sense that New Orleans was thoroughly fucked. And dammit, I rather liked that city and wanted to go back. But I wasn't thinking about the size of the storm. It didn't register with me that Mississippi was affected too. Until someone mentioned it to me at one point. And then it hit me that some family friends, my godparents, who are more family to me than most of my blood relatives lived in Mississippi.

I called my mother immediately, asking how they were. She forwarded me the "we're okay" email sent out by my godmother, and I just about lost it. They live in Vicksburg, which is further inland, and so they seem to have suffered damage similar to what Florida went through last year. Downed trees, power outages, boil water alerts, etc. So I know that they'll be okay.

Only my godmother works at the local VA clinic. And she was going to work.

She mentioned how she wouldn't be going home for a while, what with gas prices being sky high, a general shortage of fuel in general, and the fact that she would be very, very busy. A lot of people from Biloxi got shipped up there. Biloxi has been pretty much wiped off the map. She's going to be helping these people.

I don't know why exactly I've been getting so emotional about all of this. I think it's a mix of relief that they're okay combined with sadness that they had to go through it combined with the fact that someone that I know is directly dealing with a lot of the fallout of the areas that were hit much harder.

And I think about all of those people without a home. Not just a home, a fucking city. No relocation, no rebuilding, no going back anymore.

I also think about the person that I did know who was from New Orleans. My second year roommate in college, Caprica. She's pretty damn awesome. I had met her first year, and she led a very amusing Samhain ritual where we all broke up laughing when she blessed the rice cake for us to pass around. And then when I filled out the little card to help the powers that be find me a new roommate, I wrote in large letters "I'm a PAGAN!" And guess who ended up living with me?

She was a painting major, and that girl had skillz. OMG. I had held on to a few of her leftover class assignments for quite a while, but they had been lost in subsequent moving escapades. She was also a quirky and amusing person to know. She and her boyfriend would take incredibly long showers, and come out in the middle of them for grape juice. She would rent what I considered to be cheesy anime, and she would have to watch everything twice. She has a really funny story about a really bad acid trip, where the line "And I turned to the Goddess, because she was sitting right next to me..." is heard. She gave me a copy of "Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner" with the address of her favorite occult store stamped on the inside cover. She lamented not being home for Mardi Gras. She got a pet bunny rabbit, and kept it in the dorm room. (Pets weren't allowed.) It chewed through one of the cords of my Nintendo controller. (She replaced it.) The bunny went to live with her mother.

And now I think about her mother, her pet rabbit, and her. New Orleans was such a part of who she was to me. And now she can't live there anymore. She can't go home anymore. So many people can't go home anymore.

And I'm so fucking broke right now that I can't afford to donate any money to the Red Cross or anyone else to help. My godmother is doing something to help. I wish I could help too. But I'm sure everyone at work would love it if I just packed up and headed to the bayou.

If you can help somehow: money, time, anything. Please do. These are real people. These are somebody's friends, family, happy memories. This could have been you, or someone you care about.

But I'm sure you're doing what you can to help without needing me to prod you.

I think I'm gonna go through all of my old clothes and shoes and see about donating it all to those who need it.

11 Comments:

  • At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi, u dont know me but i found your blog and read it and i really share a lot of the same ideas as you do. yeah the twin towers sucked and it was so devastating yadda yadda... but i didnt know anyone affected. and even with katrina, i dont really know anyone directly affected, but for some reason it really hit home more. i kinda just lost track of my whole desire to comment but, i guess what im trying to say is this... you dont have to donate money to the cause... its little things like, going through your clothes and stuff or even smiling at someone walking down the steet. well happy bloging, thanks for the inspiration.

     
  • At 12:38 AM, Blogger The Fabulous Miss Rose said…

    And thank you for the pathos. :-)

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Can't you write a sentence without using profanity? It really isn't necessary to get your word across.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I came across your "blog" by mistake. I am so amused by your thoughts. You seem like a really neat person, just thought that I would share that with you. - Ocala, FL

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger The Fabulous Miss Rose said…

    Bill, I do write blogposts without profanity. But sometimes it's appropriate, as it is part of today's vernacular, and has a somewhat useful effect at times, and thus I keep it in my lexicon. I personally think that comments of criticism about a person's abuse and misuse of the apostrophe are more appropriate in this day and age.

    In other words, Will Smith I ain't. ;-)

    And hello random stranger in Ocala. :-)

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Dennis said…

    I enjoyed reading through your blog, and I agree, profanity should be a non-issue. Anyway, the 9-11 attack really got to me, but only because my daughter and I had been up to the observation deck the previous spring. It was hard to imagine those huge buildings collapsing and the loss of life was staggering to me. The thought of being up there when the planes hit still gives me chills. Still, I didn't get the urge to run right up there to help. But this Katrina disaster really hit home with me for some reason. I have no family or friends there, but the loss and suffering really made me want to go there to help. I contacted Habitat to see if I could volunteer when they start to rebuild the areas that were destroyed. Since I've got decades of construction experience I felt like I had something worth while to bring to the table, but I got an email back that basically said thanks, but no thanks. We've sent money to the Red Cross and the Salvation Army, but it would be nice to be able to actually do something to help them rebuild. Oh well, it was a good thought. take care...Dennis

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Greetings to you folk in the land governed by GW's bro!
    Just typed "failure" in google and hit "I'm feeling lucky" try it!
    Do you guys in the good ol US still feel confident?
    We also didn't sign Kioto, I am ashamed of our current Government!

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger The Fabulous Miss Rose said…

    Which government would that be?

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry didn't identify myself - Gerry, Queensland, Australia.

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Stumbled accross your site. Read a couple of your posts. Tell me how could you possibly compare the tragedy of "Katrina's" wake to that of the 9/11 attacks. Where there were more than five times the deaths, and those of 9/11 were murdered, not loss of life due to forces of Nature. ?????
    RLINRI

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger The Fabulous Miss Rose said…

    Hello fellow disgruntled-with-government person. :-) Myself and my cohorts have not felt confident in our government for the past 6 years or so. Grr.

    As for the other comment about comparing 9-11 to Katrina, I see both events as cataclysmic trauma that brought both cities to their knees, and the overwhelming humanitiarian response by the rest of the country. Whether it was a force of hatred or a force of nature is irrelevant to me. Both are touchstones in American history, each with their own impact on our national psyche.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free log