The Girl in Black

Se necesita una poca de gracia.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Magick is everywhere...

For being mostly Floridian, and definitely southern for most of my life, I thought I'd been doing pretty well. I've been around a little, seen cities and countryside, seen a clear and starry sky in the middle of the country night, and even snow on multiple occasions (complete with ill-fated skiing attempts).

And yet, I've never been to Virginia in the summer.

What makes this so special? One word. Fireflies.

I've seen them before, gazing out the window on a road trip in Missouri. There were a few of them closer to the ground on the side of the road. I thought they were pretty cool. But here, here they light up the trees! I didn't know the night could sparkle like it does. No man made anything can compare to this wonderfully beautiful, simple act of nature that's been going on throughout all of the history of time.

I look up at these tiny little lights, and I can't help but be amazed. And I think about how they've been around since before electric light, and I wonder what the people alive back then thought of them.

How can anyone look at the natural world around us and not believe for at least a split second that there is truly magick in the world?

2 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    simple, science kills all of nature's wonders by degrading them into simple molecular/physical/biological processes. Trust me, my imagination is hanging by a very thin thread as I am currently a scientist in training (studying biotechnology and molecular biology) and I can explain on a biologial, chemical and genetic level as to how exactly fireflies can light up like they do...in the end, I just wish I could reclaim some small hint of my forgotten innocence and keep thinking it was all magic(k)

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger The Fabulous Miss Rose said…

    It really is all magick, you know. Even if science explains a certain logic behind it, it's still beautiful and profound.

    Men have walked on the moon, taken pictures and rocks and left tire marks. And yet, she is still The Goddess to me.

    Existence is just all one big web. Everything ties into everything else. Remember this and you will be fine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free log