The Girl in Black

Se necesita una poca de gracia.

Monday, March 07, 2005

Channeling Rip Van Winkle...

No, I am not going off into the mountains to play ninepins with strange little men. And I don't drink beer. And I can assure you that I am most certainly not a henpecked husband. However, this weekend's events have reminded me of the similarity I once drew between myself and mister Van Winkle.

We both have a tendency to ignore our own lives for the sake of others'. And in Rip's case, it led him into trouble of some sort. (I am not sure of the archetypal meaning of sleeping for forty years as a result of helping a strange little man, as I missed my high school English class that day.)

What on earth could have happened to create such a profound revelation? Why, I'm glad you asked! One would think it is because I helped my brother and his lovely lady friend move from one apartment to another this weekend, but such were the acts of familial obligation (and a motion to seal the agreement for help in the moving of my own belongings later on in the month) and I had planned to spend a "reasonable" amount of time doing such activities. However, I always plan on vacating my social obligations at "reasonable" times, only to be drawn into staying longer for whatever reason.

I am hopelessly addicted to spending time with interesting people.

I ended up staying over and chatting for a good hour and a half longer than I meant to, leaving me a scant thirty minutes to do my bi-weekly grocery shopping. I made it by the skin of my teeth, but the only thing lacking was the salmon I had hoped to acquire (as the fish counter had already closed by the time of my arrival).

Missing out on a salmon dinner is not the most terrible thing in the world. But I realized that I have made this staying too long with people a habit for a very long time. One could pose the rhetorical whine "Why do all the good conversations have to happen when I have to do something else?" Or one could look deeper within, to the core beliefs that attract these situations.

Either way, I seem to have quite a puzzle on my hands.

Perhaps I shall end up theoretically asleep in the Kaatskills someday myself. Ah well, at least I'll be able to escape for a little while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free log