The Girl in Black

Se necesita una poca de gracia.

Monday, November 22, 2004

Searching the Skies for a Sign of Life...

I'm in one of those weird places where I feel like I need to do something purposeful, find something meaningful. I have the entire internet and my artistic talents at my disposal...

...and yet I find nothing, do nothing. Does this ever happen to you?

Maybe it's because my shoulder has been hurting me (a suspected work-related injury). Maybe it's just a natural coming down after a natural high from the weekend (I am terribly, hopelessly in love with my boyfriend). Maybe it's because I saw the Kerry sisters on friggin' Larry King Live being forced to answer innane questions about their father's campaign ("Was it like a roller coaster?"). Maybe it's other things...

Did you know that the most important news in America today was the fact that there was a really bad fight at a basketball game
the other night? It's kind of funny in a way, the commentary about the decadent players having lost touch with their fans, and then the fear that the fans have begun to act as unruly as their "role models." (Mind you, this is all hearsay. The actual commentaries might be different.) It seems that many things in America are fucked up right now, some sort of culture war. But surely there were other things just as important going on today?

It's also November, you know. Thanksgiving is on Thursday. And yet, I am hard pressed to find a reason to wear my sweaters. Granted, I live in Florida, but I remember the Novembers of my youth in Ormond Beach, and it certainly seems to me that it used to be colder earlier. My greatest wish in elementary school was to have a pool party for my mid-October birthday, and my parents' caveat was always "it may just be too cold honey." Often it was, and when it wasn't too cold it was still pretty chilly. What happened? Where did my cold weather go?

Global warming is one of those big scaries that I can't do anything about but feel guilty. Do you realize that by building suburbia we have created a nation completely dependent on automobiles? I thought that this was just the way of things, but then I've found that a lot of things that I thought were "just the way of things" have actually been open to debate and criticism all along. I feel as though I have been asleep sometimes. At others I feel guilty for not pulling my head out of the sand...

And yet, there is some really great music out there right now... I have discovered a website called Accuradio, which has multiple channels of streaming audio, whatever your fancy. I started out listening to "Brit Rock," but there was some sort of issue with it (never figured out what it was) and I started listening to the Indie Rock channel, "High Fidelity." I have never heard so much creative and diverse music in one place ever. Sure it repeats bands and songs, but you can skip them! You can even block a few bands from your playlist, ensuring that you'll never hear that goddam Queens of the Stone Age song ever. (Yeah, I'm one of the five people out there that don't really care for QOTSA that much. Mike, however, loves them.) And, if that wasn't enough, A Perfect Circle released a remix album/video dvd. I don't understand what the fuck is up with those damned Bikini Bandits (looks like one of those "we degrade women but it's okay because it's funny" schemes to me...), but the music transcends their "Metal" image. (Metal may not be the right word, but a lot of their t-shirts and thongs and general imagery makes me think of nothing else...) APC is some of the most beautiful stuff I've heard since Nine Inch Nails. Speaking of which...isn't it time they put out another album?

It looks like there are reasons for living after all.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Kevin Wadlow said…

    I always picture aliens landing and saying something like: "We come in search of intelligent life." "Ooops."
    'Cause they aren't going to find it here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free log