The Girl in Black

Se necesita una poca de gracia.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Girl In Black UPDATE 11-17-04 (Miss Rose Gets Honest)

So yeah, it's been about a month since I've updated now I think... Sorry about that.

To be honest, I've been rethinking whether I'm going to keep up with The Girl In Black in the same way or even at all.

Before the election, I was going to spruce it up a little. Maybe add a panel or two. Maybe try color. (I dunno, something to make it less flat. I'm not so much into the high contrast flatness anymore.)

Now? I'm not sure. Drawing comics has been put on my mental back burner. Sure, it's fun, but it's not where my mind is... I'm just not feeling it inside the way that I think I should be. This is part of why I am so terrible about updating. I don't usually do things unless I feel driven. And what I feel driven to do right now is to use my creative talents for social and political "good." Like, drive up to D.C. and offer my skills to an organization in line with my beliefs and in need of some graphic designing and marketing.


Anyway, I want to do something. I love creating art, I love the process. I take pride in my work when it's done. But my so-far unresolveable conflict is that I need to do something more meaningful to me (or purposeful to someone else), and whatever I end up actually doing for myself usually turns out to be pretty mediocre and just plain ol' "cute" in a way that means "boring and uninteresting." Sometimes I even feel like I have to do "comics" because I got a degree in Sequential Art and I have to put my degree to good use.

I don't really feel that way about my art shows. When I created my art show material, I was inspired. I was writing visual poetry. It was new and exciting!

And, like the self-defeatist I am, I have never really put any of my art show material on any website I've had. I fully intend on changing that. And then if people don't like it or think that it's mediocre or they just don't get it, they can piss off because I did something I believed in. ;-)

Oops, my lunch break is way over. Maybe more thoughts later... I've been getting into music again (thank the Goddess).


5 Comments:

  • At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you're facing two things--one of which pretty much all smart and/or talented people have to deal with, and one that's unique to people whose talent is for comedy.

    The thing everybody deals with is the fear of mediocrity. In my experience, the only people who never have doubts about their talents are (ironically enough) the ones who actually are mediocre. I think that's because people who lack self doubt never push themselves to improve. There was actually a study a while back showing that this is a statistical fact, not just an anecdotal observation--incompetent people really do have less self-doubt than everybody else.

    But if it's anecdotal evidence you want, remember that Woody Allen offered to give back the money the studio paid him to make Manhattan if they'd promise not to release it. Ed Wood, by contrast, never felt the need to make a similar offer.

    And speaking of Woody Allen, the thing-that-only-affects-funny-people is what is sometimes called the Woody Allen Syndrome. No, not (INSERT JOKE ABOUT WOODY ALLEN'S PRIVATE LIFE HERE). I mean the nagging feeling that, in the face of a cold and tragic world, being funny or cute is an invalid artistic response. I wrestle with this myself, sometimes. I have to remind myself that making strangers happy by putting words in order (or, in your case, by drawing lines on paper) is a pretty remarkable and worthwhile skill, and the potential of the world to diminish human happiness is the best argument in favor of trying to increase it, even in small or silly ways.

    And Lauren has to remind me every once in a while that I shouldn't automatically assume that the things I find hard to do are more worthwhile than the things that come easy to me. I don't know if that's something that affects you, too, but I thought I'd mention it.

    All of which is a long-winded way of saying that, while I think that pursuing more serious and or politically relevent projects is a great idea if that's what seems most meaningful to you right now, I hope that you won't completely abandon the funny stuff. Or, at least, I hope that if you do abandon it, it won't just be because it's funny.

    But then, I loved "Liberal Freak Show" and am looking forward to the next volume, so maybe I'm just being selfish.

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops--I meant to sign my name to that. Curse Blogger and its anonymity-encouraging commenting system.

    Love,
    Jacob

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Kevin Wadlow said…

    Oddly enough, doing comics is the only thing that's kept me sane (to the extent possible) post college. I completely understand the search for something meaningful to do though. I guess part of me keeps hoping for one of those Monty Python style "light shining down from heaven" things but alas, that's yet to happen.Or for someone to look at the work I've posted online and say "Let's give this man loads of money." I can dream, right?

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Blogger The Fabulous Miss Rose said…

    I had a rather long and melodramatic response to the both of you, but thought the wiser of it. (As my beloved is fond of quoting from someone else, "Brevity is the Soul of Wit.")

    Thank you so much, Jacob, for your thoughts. I promise that I'm not giving up on comedy because it's funny. :-) I do intend on doing the funny stuff as well as the not-so-funny stuff.

    Kevin, I'm glad to know I'm not the only disillusioned SCAD grad out there. I just hope that you're really happy with what your doing.

    And now, to bed I go!

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Kevin Wadlow said…

    I don't think I've met any SCAD grads that AREN'T disillusioned. :) But *shrug* I keep busy at least.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free log